Tuesday, November 10, 2015

A daily lesson


 

            How finally I relate philosophy to my way of thinking. Thanks to Martin Heidegger, Leo Tolstoy, Emile Zola and Marck Forster. Of course, philosophy is a part of my life without I can understand it. And I'm the only one to blame for. I'm a pre-philosopher, my philosophical potential is not born yet. It's like women (or any groups unfairly treated) who cannot understand they are oppressing by society because they  have no idea who they are. Marx said it more than a century ago about a russian working class who didn't see themselves as a class. So I'm a philosophical object denied by myself, mostly because living without questioning is easier. I choose values that I can relate to, that help me to grow. And these 3 authors and this director talked to me, introduced themselves by each other. Let me explain : I wouldn't understand Heidegger without Forster as I wouldn't understand Zola without refeirring to Tolstoy.

 

            So what ? So the principle explained is simple, is modern and will always be. The former hipsters in the Antiquity said Carpe Diem wearing their fashion toga, today with sunglasses, bio tea and beanie said YOLO (You Only Live Once). My little sister with her new YOLO sweatshirt (Unfortunately true) is spreading a philosophy inheritance of centuries of philosophers. Even if she has no conscience of it.

Teenagers see in that message an excuse to : do not care we're all gonna die so bro do whatever you want (It can be stupid and dangerous. It must be actually.) I used to get really confused about the message. If it's a way to overcome your fears then it's great and I would encourage everyone to adopt the YOLO style. Everyone in sunglasses and beanies, so stylish.
 

You're welcome.
 

If it's a way to be stupidly reckless, then no. Don't, trust me and don't. Because you have forgotten the YOLO/Carpe Diem rule number one : enjoy life. This being said mingle be brave and take stupid risks is certainly not the best way to enjoying life. Indeed it seems to shorten life instead.

I find Carpe Diem more attractive, firstly I love beautiful images, and what you can translate as seize the day is infinitely more poetic than YOLO (more down to earth). Secondly it is a gentle reminder of the importance to find authenticity.


How can you find authenticity? At this moment I can refer to films and novels. Life, and being is related to death and not being anymore. We all are going to die, we all know this limit to our life. The knowledge of death is one, if only, the most important thing in life. It creates life changes. It can bring despair, dread and anxiety, it can make the life an absurd limited moment (Big up to Kierkegaard) or instead it can make you truly live according to yourself.

I admit I’m a deep optimistic. And I prefer see the experience of death as a revelation to authenticity. Ivan Ilitch and Harold Crick discovering they’re going to die have in common a review of their priorities. Even if they have humdrum lives, they understand their death is closer than they think. Because they have suddenly a deadline, they want to properly their lives meaning this is absurd to live without being. Being happy in preference. It’s like a paper, if you don’t have a deadline you won’t do it. Or if your holidays were infinite you wouldn’t enjoy them as you do. The knowledge of the finite in my opinion is creating intensity. Christmas is, or is supposed to be, an happiness time because it happens once a year.



There is a dilemma raised by this thinking. Experimenting death is understanding that there is a concrete end. It changes you. But while Ivan Illitch or Harold Crick free themselves from their sad life, it can also paralyze. The fear of the end can be that strong you can’t handle it. I recently watched a video where women talked about their first death experience. One of them explained that she was so terrified she planned her own death, she decided to kill herself because living with a Damoclès Sword under her head was not acceptable. Death is a threat, because it is spontaneous (or almost). We can compare this state to phobic behaviour. People who are scared of vomiting, do everything to avoid any situation that can lead to vomit. In extreme situations, these phobic won’t eat pastas with sauce, or drink milk, or drink a beer. They are prostrated in their own fears.

Why YOLO couldn’t induce the same ? After all, you only live once, bring back to our vulnerability.

So, two reactions can be created by the knowledge of death : being anxious by the idea of our soon death ; being true by the idea of hurry up by the emergency of living.

There is no, clearly not, what teenagers apply on their lives (or I’m maybe becoming an old lady, scared of any risk).

 

There is even a holy sense given to life. Life is precious, take care. But the religious side stopped with the following : enjoy. (Just kidding I love believers)

More than a poetic tattoo Carpe Diem compare each day to a new flower (in French carpe is translated by “cueillir”). The idea of catching the day because time flies is a wonderful image. An image that I try to apply. Every past day is gone, I only have few days to live, so why should I waste my time doing things that doesn’t make me happy. And I’m certainly not taking about : doing the dishes, clean my room. I do not consider these as “annoying things I will never do again … “ But as first order conditions to my happiness. I do not enjoy fully doing the laundry, but I like to wear clean clothes. Instead of complaining during boring time of the day, I try (hardly) to enjoy. Breathe. Enjoy. I’m alive now and this is all that matters. 

Then :

The experience of death makes you more active or contemplative ?

For example : you realize that you have lot of stuff you want to do or you suddenly take your time and enjoy ?

Am I becoming an old lady, thinking that being reckless is the contrary of carpe diem ?
 
Do religion avoids YOLO with life after death ?
 
Have fun and CARPE DIEM style :*
 
 

5 comments:

  1. Hi Clem,
    First, I find your post very interesting, and it was funny to read it. (I was blindsided by the face of the old lady...)
    Anyway, I really don't know if you're becoming an old lady, but about activism or the fact we become more contemplative, I would say that no matter it affect us, there is a thing who must be explain.
    According to Hannah Arendt in "Condition de l’homme moderne (1961)", there are two way of life. First of all, there is the vita contemplativa. We must find happiness without form of desire. It is maybe similar with Carpe diem. By the way, we have to empty your mind to find the way of wisdom.
    On the other hand, she tells there is an other way : vita activa. It is based on actions and desire. Instaed of the first way, here we are, and have to fulfil actions, life and we might listen the force in our body.
    Last but not least, I believe that the experience of death makes me more active, even though I won't wear sweatshirts with YOLO's inscriptions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maxime ! You're sweet and thé old lady GIF if my favorite ...
      I didn't know about vitæ contemplativa ans vitæ activa ans this is a relief, finally we have a choice,
      And by a choice I mean there is more than one way to go. As far as we know philosophy doesn't apply everytime, because facts are not ideas and sometimes we are deeper than written ideas.
      I hope there is another way, an hybrid way where you can contemplate or acte.
      I think today I'm more in the active way, but it is probably normal, leave wisdom to oldies, we will find it later, for the moment let's be rebellious, wild, brave and agressive. Because we still think we can change the world.
      And you what life are you living ?

      PS : Also I have to moderate myself, I write poetry I might be (at least for a little part) contemplative. Oh... all of these seems to be about proportions.

      Delete
  2. Hi Clem,
    Your post is very interesting and funny !
    I don't think you are an old woman, you are just a wise woman. Life is a precious thing and we have to take care about it but we also have to live as we think it is better to live. Teenagers say "YOLO" just because they don't want to beint serious about what they are doing or they don't really assume it. But it is complicated because chilhood is for lots of people the stage of their life where death doesn't exist and it is a bit similar for teenagers. Maybe that as long as we are not really conscious of the death we can say "YOLO" in the same way as teenagers. But after having become aware that we are going to die we realize the value of the words "carpe diem".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Lorette <3
      Thanks,
      First : I think you're in the old women club (the real club is named "Old women who don't assume they are old and say there are wise instead" but it's too long)
      I disagree because teenagers are, in my opinion, more affected by death : they just discovered they would eventually die ! And what if YOLO was a threat to take back their former power ?
      As an teenager (20 years old in seven monts, remember) who have a foot in the adulte side I understand what you explain : YOLO is an excuse to be free, and Carpe Diem is a recognition for life.
      Can we be free ans grateful ? Because if you consider life as precious, as a gift (very religious idea) you are grateful, and if you are grateful, you have a duty, to worth it. And duties don't make you free !

      Delete
    2. I am very glad to be a member of this club because I think it is the kind of club where we drink tea all the time.
      When you are a teenager you are between the stage without death and the stage with and it depend of your life and your maturity. That's why it is a difficult time of the life. I really like your explanation of "YOLO" as "a threat to take back their former power". It looks like the explanation of Beauvoir on the difficulty of the girls to become women. They realize that they will have no more the same freedom than before when they were just children. They became women and the other defines them as women. If we have the same thought about teenagers we can say that they know they will never be carefree and will never have the power which they had by being children.

      I didn't wrote the word "grateful" in my comment and I never said it is a gift because, as you say, it is a religious idea and I think we can take care of our life but also of every other lives without trust in God. All the more if we think we just exist during our life (and not after death) we have all the reason to take care of it ! In this case the duty is what you think is important in the life. For Sartre and Beauvoir we have to be free and to struggle for this freedom. I really like this idea.

      Delete