Wednesday, November 25, 2015

No Exit in Deciding What to Wear

In No Exit, there is a part when Estelle tries to search for a mirror in hopes of checking her appearance. Reading this bit, I started to question why Estelle even needed a mirror if she knew she was going to be stuck in this room with these people for the rest of eternity, these people would eventually see her “real” self, beneath the façade of attempted beauty. Some interpretations of Estelle’s need for a mirror claim it is her attempt at avoiding the judging gaze of the other two people in hell with her, Garcin and Inez. I don’t agree.

When I look in the mirror, I judge my appearance by imagining what observers would think about my appearance. It’s not a one-to-one relationship; rather it is me combatting my appearance with not just my own judgmental gaze, but the hundreds of other “potential” gazes that might scorn me throughout the day. I search for mirrors to check if my appearance is suitable for the gaze of others, not to escape the gaze of others.


Be yourself.
Be true to yourself.
Dress for yourself.
Screw what others think!
F**k the haters!
I love me!

We are force-fed these “mottos,” we are told to celebrate and embrace our differences. We are told our whole lives to live for ourselves, to not care what others think, to be defined by our own virtues. Yet we are defined by our conformities. Why else do fashion trends exist? Why else does every other person in Paris own a pair of Stan Smiths? Why do certain groups of people all have the same mannerisms? We create connections with our surroundings not by being different, but by adjusting our actions & reactions to what we believe those around us deem acceptable. We are sold a brand of individuality, we are told to celebrate our differences, yet the fabric of our society (and any society that has existed) is based in conditioned similarities.

In a dream scenario, the logic goes that once you are able to be freed of the necessity to keep up appearances/character for others, only then will you be free to be yourself. But then what is yourself? Regardless of Estelle being in an eternal hell (where it doesn’t really matter whether there are people around to judge her ‘cause whoops she’s stuck with them), she still seeks to define herself by her relationship to a supposed manly man, as being the negative (not in the good/bad sense but the yin-yang sense) counterpart to masculinity. This interpretation of what it means to be feminine is, of course, shaped by her surroundings, by her life-long exposure to the male gaze.

In my own exposure to the male gaze, I find myself trying to actively combat it. Every morning, I deliberate whether I am wearing an outfit for the sake of being comfortable (and in turn “for myself”) or to be attractive to others. And then when I catch myself dressing for attention or for other people’s admiration, and I actively decide change my outfit. But in doing so, I am still allowing myself to be defined by other people’s opinions. In my mind, being perceived as attention-getting is negative (because I perceive others to think it is negative as well) so in hopes of being perceived positively, I still dress in accordance to others opinions. It’s a lose-lose situation.  And one that I battle with every morning.  Hell really is other people.

And it differs from place to place of course, with each new location having its own sets of norms when it comes to appearances and actions. Coming from New York dressing ‘outrageously’ (aka for Parisians, in color or with body parts exposed) is a tired act, I’ve noticed that my time in Paris has made me dress more conservatively as it feels forced, attention-seeking and uncomfortable to wear things I don’t think twice about in NY. As I spend more time here, my notion of “clothes I feel comfortable in” shifts closer and closer to my notion of “what Parisian’s judging gazes find acceptable.” I am defined by what I am not, and I am not what I thought I was before I came here. I thought I was someone who enjoyed to dress in color, I am indeed someone chasing the gap between myself and other’s opinions.


Hell is other people because we cannot avoid other people. Unless you die, though according to Sartre, the gaze continues in our eternities.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Sacha ! I agree with your point of view about the judgment gaze in everyday life.
    Nevertheless, I think it is not unavoidable for eternity. I actually think Sartre thought that we are in hell if we care too much about the others’ gaze, not that you cannot have another relations with the others. I think that you are still free to dress just as you desire if the gaze of the other doesn’t hurt you. Indeed, if you are really sure of what you are and what you want to look like, how can you be in hell? People won’t reject you if you impose your personality, they can do anything else that judging you, and who care what they think? If you’re sure of what you are, going over social norms is not unrealizable.

    Estelle is in hell, not the whole world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi !
    I think that even if everybody thinks of being unique and of having his own personality, we need to feel loved. The human being lives in society, except some cases. We need to live in society because we need other people (family, friends ...) to move forward in our lives, their gaze is important because maybe we don't want to disappoint them, or maybe we want to assert our personality and to show them.
    I don't think that hell is other people, I think that we want to know how the others see us, thus the other people's gaze is a thing which we wish and that we accept.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Alexandre and Sylvain!

    Thank you for your responses, it's interesting to see other people's opinions on my little dilemma. I think the base of my argument is (and it may not necessarily align with Sartre's views) is that it is impossible for other people's gaze not to hurt us, or at the very least, influence us. I personally believe people's gazes define our actions, either by our rejection of the gaze or our acceptance of its constraints. Either way, we revolve around the gaze. We participate in a society for the benefits of friendship and companionship, and with that come of the negatives of judgment and assimilation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi ! I completely agree with your perspective !
    I just wanted to add that i think one of the reasons we care so much about what others may think of our apparence, of our outfits, is because ourselves, we do judge others depending on those kind of superficial things. Even if we know it's not a good think, if we see someone in street who wears I don't know a short with high socks, we'll judge him and knowing that we do and extending this way of think to others, we assume they will also judge us. I think it's one of the main reasons for this phenomenon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was a really insightful and refreshing post that honestly discusses the mental gymnastics that go on in the mind of a young adult in an increasingly global society. I totally feel you on being an international student especially from the States, feeling the pressure to conform to this idea of 'proper attire.' I tried to stave off my Berkeley weirdness but inevitably fell back to the simple comforts of clothing that felt authentic to me. Hell can be and often is other people in terms of how we position ourselves in reference to them, to these standards that everyone is keeping up to meet. The being-for-itself thus transmutes into a being-for-others as we allow the "look" or "gaze" to ascribe traits to our beings without our consent and allow it to alter our personal choices. I'm not sure what the way out would be, seeing as there doesn't look to be an exit. Ha.

    ReplyDelete