Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Progress? Simone de Beauvoir’s The Second Sex and Modern Feminism

Simone de Beauvoir, who died in 1986, became a pioneering figure for many within the feminist movement due the publication of her work Le Deuxième Sexe in 1949. Her celebrated statement, “One is not born, but rather becomes, a woman,” was, and still is, highly influential and widely circulated. But how relevant is The Second Sex in today’s context? Have Beauvoir’s ideas been misinterpreted and distorted? Or, are we making progress towards reversing what she considered to be women’s position as the ‘other’, constantly overshadowed, in comparison to the overarching dominance of men? It is these questions that I am hoping to make some progress towards answering, or at the very least consider.

‘Feminism’ and all the misconceptions attached to it within modern society are often incendiary talking points. It is something that I have noticed more so in the UK (but maybe that’s just because I can speak the language and so understand what’s going on), but everyone has a strong and divided opinion, which largely seems to be one of either two groups. I have to say I was somewhat scared of writing this blog post as I know how strong these opinions sometimes are, and if you have the wrong one you’re stupid. Although it varies in a university environment due to the more liberal way of thinking generally associated with students, amongst many others if you deem yourself a ‘feminist’ it means you are automatically a man-hater. On the other hand if you say you aren’t a ‘feminist’, you hate women, believe men are better in every possible way etc, etc. It can be tiring, to say the least, and are in many ways divisions that could be entirely avoided if we devoid the word of all the negative connotations it currently possessed, and strip it back to its true meaning.

In light of all this, I really enjoyed reading the introduction to The Second Sex to attempt to understand some original feminist notions. In essence, it seems to me that what Beauvoir argues is that the male gaze has become institutionalised to the extent that the possibilities available to women are entirely delimited, and they are consequently viewed as the ‘other’, the inferior sex. The man is the essential, sovereign subject. For Beauvoir, however, as existence precedes essence, these ideals of femininity are entirely constructed, and it is societal structures imposed upon us that cause us to ‘become a woman’, one with this limited field of possibilities. She considers that, “Every female being is not necessarily a woman; to be so considered she must share in that mysterious and threatened reality known as femininity.”

One aspect of The Second Sex that I found pertinent to the controversy associated with the modern feminist movement was when she states, “People have tirelessly sought to prove that woman is superior, inferior or equal to man…If we are to gain understanding, we must get out of these ruts; we must discard the vague notions of superiority, inferiority and equality which have hitherto corrupted every discussion of the subject and start afresh.” This is something that I feel many people today do not adhere to: we become so focused on achieving absolute equality that we forget freedom and the end of oppression are what should be the ultimate end goals. Furthermore, it should be actions that serve the universal cause of freedom, and not one restricted to certain groups, i.e. women. An overarching acceptance is of upmost importance.

Regarding the relevance of The Second Sex and any progress we have made towards Beauvoir’s end goals, I believe that the fact that we are at least attempting to fight for liberation means something, even if it is at times slightly misguided. Beauvoir is critical in her work of women who act in complicity with the world established by men, and holds them in disregard: they live an inauthentic existence and deny their freedom. She is critical of Western women of that era who were aware of their oppression and yet did nothing about it, because it allows them to live without the fundamental existential struggle. In her words, “Refusing to be the Other, refusing all complicity with man, would mean renouncing all the advantages an alliance with the superior caste confers on them.” Beauvoir lived a controversial life, to say the least, and one that was always characterised by her relationship with Jean-Paul Sartre. Her non-conformity to the ideals of marriage that were still highly present when she was alive shows how she valued freedom above all else. 

Although I don’t agree with absolutely everything that Beauvoir argues in The Second Sex, its position as both a revolutionary feminist text is undeniable, and the notions it contains are, I believe, still relevant, even if less so. Gender constructs are now something widely recognised, and I believe we have made partial progress towards reversing these, despite the struggle attached. I also feel women are now less complicit with the world of men, and are continually engaged in our struggle for freedom. But, that is not to say there aren’t difficulties associated with the movement, and the misconceptions surrounding it need to be addressed.  In my opinion, we need to stop thinking that it’s ‘us’ against ‘them’, not only in feminism but really in any liberation movement.


I’d be really interested to hear other people’s thoughts on this matter, so please feel free to comment!

6 comments:

  1. Hi Laura !
    I would like to focus on something you said about equality. It is true that Beauvoir was a starting point for feminist movements. And it is true that these feminist movements are claiming for more freedom for woman. And they think that with equality comes freedom. Then, when women could earn as much as men for the same job, the whole humanity would be freer, because "we are condemned to freedom" as Sartre said. But I don't think that if we are all more equal, we will be all freer, because what does it means to be equal? It only mean that we could all, men and women, be alienated the same way to society's rules. So, equality as many feminist understand it is to me a flap of freedom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ninon!
      Thank you for your comment.

      I think that you're right in saying that equality is not necessarily the path to freedom and I really like your comment about how it just means that we will be alienated to society's rules. For example, I think one of the issues with the modern feminist movement is that people try and force their own opinions onto other people. In this way, they are just exacerbating a lack of freedom and creating more oppression. I also found interesting in Beauvoir's work her discussion of how a mere reversal of a power structure is not the answer.

      Delete
  2. Hello Laura,
    I agree with you that even as a woman, feminism can be a daunting topic just because of how it is perceived and widely misinterpreted in society. I agree with you on the fact that I like how Beauvoir tries to take out the question of equality/superiority/inferiority, because the status of gender is not a question of value. As soon as we can stop considering worth as a valid question, we can get by a lot of issues women go through in society. I don't agree that we should abolish gender, because it is a part of identity I personally believe we should be proud of rather than deny, but I also think that if we do choose to identify with a certain gender (and yes this should be a choice that is a part of us shaping our own identity), we must refuse to accept any negative baggage that have accompanied that chosen gender throughout history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sarah!

      Very interesting comment - I agree with you on the gender issue to a certain point because it is something to be proud of. But do you ever think that it will be possible to fully move away from the societal constructs of femininity that currently define women? We've made huge progress in the last century there is no denying but I can't help but wonder if we will ever truly be free to do what we want to do, regardless of the fact of whether we are a man or a woman. It's a very topical issue, especially in light of the transgender movement that you referred to briefly in your comment. I only hope that we can move away from the negativity surrounding it and try and move forward, as you mentioned.

      Delete
  3. Hey ! Great post ;)

    What I find interesting in The Second Sex is that she clearly says that existence precedes essence, as you said, and that gender is above all a social construction. What is even more interesting is that both ideas are present in the famous citation "One is not born but rather becomes a woman". She makes a clear-cut distinction between female sex and gender; but I'd like to talk about the "existence precedes essence point"!

    Existence precedes essence: She clearly claims it in the Second Sex. You said the male gaze has been institutionalized and that she tries to tear it apart. I think it is more than that. As a child, Beauvoir usually had violent whims when adults were treating her as a child, at least according to what she told in her correspondance to one of her lovers. She explained it was due to the fact adults wanted to impose her what she should think and do whereas she felt like she was capable to make her own choices. By doing so, they imposed her an image of herself far different from the image she had of herself. She added in a letter: "I promised myself I would never forget that at 5 we're a complete individual." It actually refers to Sartre's work. Despite her talking about the male gaze, I think her criticism is part of a larger process. When I read "One is not born but rather becomes a woman" I also read "I am not born but rather become myself", thanks to my own choices. Do you agree with me when I say it is part of a larger process, that this sentence can be applied to many other situations?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello!

    I really appreciate your blogpost Laura, and all the comments that followed it were pretty relevant.

    I totally agree with you when you described how women have to deal with feminism. As a young woman, I never considered myself as a feminists because of the wrong interpretation of the concept. But, paradoxically I cannot deny the fact that I am feminist because I truly believe in the equality of gender.
    Maybe it would be because I don't really perceive a war between sexes, even if I know that it actually happens.
    I think that finally, the main idea, as you said, would be to get away from this idea of opposition between man and woman. We live in a society where we are now able to pass over this. Rather than focusing on the rule of female, or on the equality between them and the men, we should probably be more focus on the ourself as a human being as Lucas perfectly explained in the last comment.

    Thanks you !

    ReplyDelete